Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oh, British Me!

I love this blog because it gives me a reason to take a break from all the reading I have.

Not that I'm complaining about class... since I have 3 hours worth on Tuesday, 4 hours on Wednesday and 2 hours on Thursday... And that's it...

But there's lots of reading and I feel like I need to create work for myself or
A) I'll go crazy
B) I'll eat my life away
C) I won't learn anything
D) I will do horrible.

Then again it's nice to have power points and readings reiterated in lectures that it's almost like a review rather than going to lecture and frantically scribbling what the professor said because, oh hey, I didn't know that from the things I was required to learn on my own. And it's also nice having a 1,500 word essay due in 7 weeks rather than 4 due every two weeks... It's definitely different over here.

On that note, I have found myself gaining little British traits here and there. For instance -
- I now have to refrain from not putting an 'x' down after I write something to an American
- I find myself spelling things like "internalizing" and "theater" as "internalising" and "theatre"
- I like fries with ketchup & mayo - ?!
- I understand when someone asks me if I want to get "tea" with them they don't actually mean tea but dinner... and when they ask if I want to get "dinner" they mean lunch
- I put milk in my tea (the actual drink, of course)
- I watch things on iTV - one of the few channels you can watch TV on (not as in previous episodes but actual TV) and that means British things, like the footy match yesterday.
- I can tell how much coins are just at a glance these days (quite hard since the 10p looks like a quarter and the 5p looks like a dime...)

Weekend is upon us and besides laundry and work, there are no solid plans. However, my friend Laura invited me to come home with her for a family party. Haven't decided yet, but maybe I will? Who knows.. could make for a good update!

Love from here! xxx (hahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment