Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Rome, Rome, Rome, Rome, focus forward on the coliseum" - Phoenix

When we arrive in Rome, it is around midnight and we decide to take a taxi into the city. Driving through Rome at night as an introduction is one of the coolest things ever. Our taxi driver was a very sweet Italian man who would point out all the items of interest. As we crossed a bridge we saw St. Peter's Basilica in the distance. We flew by ancient Roman ruins and the next thing I know, we're driving right next to the coliseum. Rome is awesome.

Our hostel, however, was not. And to all of our disappointments, none of us took a picture of it to show everyone just how bad it was. The staff was quite unpolite. The room was dark and dingy and there were 12 of us. Sharing one bathroom. Quite miserable. But we had internet to curbe our bad moods and fell asleep (me watching American Idol auditions... yes, I have resorted to that).

The next morning we took it easy and decided to try our hand at Rome on foot. We thought Prague was big. Through twists and turns we did find many buildings that were famous (don't really know their role but we took pictures of them, nevertheless), walked right past where the Amanda Knox trials were being held, and stopped at the most adorable pizzeria ever with cheap & delicious pizza & bruschetta.

We realized our proximity to the Spanish Steps and I was put on a mission. I wanted a gelatto to eat on the steps so I would look like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. All I was going to miss was Gregory Peck. After going on a witch hunt for that gelatto (and getting a true taste of Italian men... they love to wink) I succeeded in getting my wish. I was a very happy girl indeed. Meanwhile, Matt got Gypsied. The rest of us knew what was happening but we just had to laugh and keep an eye on his wallet... The pickpocketing is very sketchy in Rome and it was a different type of atmosphere from Amsterdam and Prague.

Josh proceeded to figure out where the Trevi Fountain was and we trekked over there to see one of the most amazing sites I think I have ever seen. I don't think there is a way to describe how huge the fountain is. It juts out of a building and is perfect. The marble, the anatomy and structure of the people sculpted. Everything. So naturally we had to take millions of pictures as well as throw a coin behind our backs and make a wish :)

We planned to make the next stop the Pantheon but somehow got off track and discovered another large building that was cool and unknown to us, but also the Roman fort ruins and the walk towards the Coliseum. It's surreal that the crumbling rock I was walking next to was built by some of the earliest civilizations and I was there to see it. The Coliseum was massive and quite cool. When we returned to Uni and some woman was giving us a Lanc city history lesson, she went on about some dinky little bathhouse ruin and I looked at my friend and go "Not so impressive once you see the Coliseum". The arena that I had seen and sat in in Nimes, France years ago does not even compare to the coliseum. Unfortunately, it cost 40 euro to go inside and we're poor so we had to skip. But it was still worth it.

Later on we met up with Adam & Arik from the Lanc program who were there for their last night before London with their family. That was really nice to see them and I great enjoyed having a bonding moment or two with Adam, the shy twin. The next morning, Elena & I were tired of waiting for the guys, so we took to the Vatican all by ourselves.

It was one of the hottest days and naturally, to go through the museum to see the Sistine Chapel, you must have your shoulders and above your knees covered. When we arrived, the line to see the Pope was unbearable in the heat so we just took pictures and headed to the museum. The first hour of the museum was awesome seeing some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen (however, Carole Small would be so proud that I recognized the characteristics of Renaissance art and how it is not eclectic). It was very repetitive though ("Oh hey that's a good picture of Jesus breaking bread..." "Didn't we just see this?" "No he's wearing blue in this one... the last one it was red... I think?") that by the time we got to the Sistine Chapel, not only were we in some ways let down, but also not allowed to take photos. Cheap. It was cool seeing the creation of Adam but I think there was less hype actually in front of it than I was expecting. Elena attempted to be sneaky and hide her camera while she took the picture, but it accidentally flashed and some security guard dressed in civilian clothes yelled at her. She looked back and it was a picture of her finger :(. You also are not allowed to talk in the chapel and every 5 minutes, there is a man solely there to "shh" you. But it's still neat that I get to say I've seen the Sistene Chapel.

My most "Oh Rome" moment though was when Elena & I returned to the Gelateria by the Spanish Steps to meet a cute Italian waiter who spoke perfect English and when told we didn't get to see the Pantheon said he would take us there when he got off work. Don't worry, we didn't go, we had more sense than that, but it was still cool to feel like "Oh I'm in Rome, some Italian boy offered to take me to see the Pantheon at night, laddi da". When in Rome...

Everyone had been exhausted and were ready for a chill night, so we went to a not so good restaurant next to the Coliseum. Food, bad. View, incredible. Rome was conquered in 2 days (phew!)

That's when we had to wake up for a 7 am train to Florence...

PICTURES!
[Obelisks and Planes, The Police of Rome, Spanish Steps 1 & 2, The Five in front of the Trevi Fountain]

[Making a wish at the Trevi Fountain, Large building we're not sure of..., Roman ruins, Man with a Cross & Roman soldier?, Me at the Coliseum 1 & 2, Inside the Vatican museum, Rome at night!]

No comments:

Post a Comment